"Devil Land": Get To Know Our Crew - Antonia Arcely (Understudy for Beatriz)
(Photo: Antonia and her grandmother)
1. What made you want to pursue a career in live theater?
The energy I feel from live audience is exhilarating. It’s something I want to feel over and over.
"Devil Land": Get To Know Our Crew - Tony Bruno (Sound Design)
"Devil Land": Get To Know Our Crew - Amy Couey (Props)
From now until the end of the run, we will highlight the talented individuals involved in the Midwest Premiere of Devil Land by Desi Moreno-Penson, directed by Hank Hilbert. Here’s a brief questionnaire with Amy Couey. Enjoy!
I love to help create a believable environment to help increase the audience’s experience. Also, I’m a big kid and I love to play dress up and make believe.
"Devil Land": Get To Know Our Crew - Carolyn Reynolds (Stage Manager)
My grandmother introduced me to theater at a very young age and it just stuck. There is simply nothing like the power of a good story told well.
2. What is your role in Devil Land?
I’m the stage manager. It’s a different hat for me but I’ve really enjoyed being on this side of the table for a change.
3. What are you looking forward the most of the summer?
The sun! I’m from California and this winter has been very rough for me. I will be outside playing and exploring as much as possible!
4. What is the most significant message you would take away form Devil Land?
We are all susceptible to corruption but we also have the power to choose to overcome it.
5. If you could choose one quote that means something to you, what would it be?
Beatriz’s line at the beginning “Evil’s gotta go somewhere, right?” It sticks out to me every time I hear it. It’s eerie and I think a very good tagline for the play itself.
6. Which character in Devil Land can you most relate to personally and in which ways can you relate to this character?
I love watching the journey Destiny takes throughout the play. The idea that someone so young and fragile ends up being strong and powerful beyond her years is beautiful to me. She is in a horrible situation but she knows who she is and what she wants and never loses sight of that.
7. What do you want the audience members to take away from this show?
Again, I think the idea that we are all potentially vulnerable to corruption and power is a scary idea but it’s important to be aware of. This is obviously an extreme version of that but still very relatable.
8. What play would you love to star in and what role would you want to play?
9. What is your favorite cartoon character?
Mickey Mouse. I love that Walt Disney had a phobia of mice until he drew Mickey and it ended up bringing joy to millions of people. He definitely makes me smile.
10. Out of all the theaters in the city of Chicago, what is the one part about UrbanTheater that makes it so unique to its audience members?
UTC is directly involved with its patrons and so accessible to them the way a lot of theater isn’t. They do work that means something to the community and people are excited to come see what’s next. I know I am!
Purchase Your Tickets Today! - Take me to Devil Land